Hi Trausti,

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 21:06 +0200, Trausti Thor Johannsson wrote:
> Not trying to offend you, really.

No offense taken, Trausti.  Really.

> But how about getting big before planning sharding ?

Agreed, at least as far as 'we won't need to do it for a good long
while.'  I was just saying that sharding rather than clustering is the
eventual path we'll take.  Much of that decision is based on another
decision: deploying on EC2.

> You can get really big with just tweaking mysql on a 4 core server and
> then you can have loads of memory and eventually you can keep
> everything in memory.  Then you can cache the site, and then you can
> put varnish cache in front.  I work on a site with more than 1.5
> million individuals visiting each and every day, not distributed
> evenly, and for the most part it is a single mysql server, single web
> server and varnish cache.  This setup replaced 14 squid servers that
> used to be in front.

Understood.  And thanks for the numbers.  I've got a lot more
investigating / benchmarking to do before I know what our 'break point'
will be.  Most of the usage of the site I'm working on now will be
updates rather than reads.  I know that MySQL is optimized for reads,
and there's lots of numbers out there for that but I haven't seen as as
much about the update side of the performance.

> (We actually have everything with fail over and more setup, but mostly
> to keep things simpler).  With the setup we have, we can grow a lot
> bigger before we need to increase anything.

Thanks much for your reply.  I appreciate it!

Bill