My personal favorite is emacs with emacs-rails package.  Well worth a
look if you want a development environment that you can carry with you
through time and computer changes.  For example, I started using emacs
as a C development platform on VMS in 1979 (DEC Vax - prehistory) and
have used it  under unix, windows, and osx to develop code in many
different languages.

Check out this site to get started: http://dima-exe.ru/rails-on-emacs

I've also tried Vim, NetBeans, jEdit, and ScITE but emacs remains my
editor of choice.

Risky religious rant here...

On a slightly different note, I think you ought to take a look at one
of the many linux variants (or osx if you're shopping for a new
computer).  While it is true that Microsoft has desktop dominance this
is due more to clever marketing and a historic middle management
mantra (Nobody ever got fired for purchasing IBM) than to technical
innovation or excellence.