Depends on how deep you want your knowledge to go.

One-click installs may be nice, but when issues occur, and they will,
who has the foundational knowledge of what pieces and parts are making
your application work?

When first exploring Rails (in Windows for curiousity), then through an
Ubuntu install in a VM, to installing on a headless server at work, I
kept a notebook of the install/maintenance steps for each platform.

I know what version of Rails, rubygems, this or that gem or library that
was pulled from apt-get, or built on that machine is on each platform.
Sure makes it easier to triage issues when I can google for assistance
on a specific version of a gem, or library.

I say "roll your own"... who knows, you might even learn something.