Your are very right. I shouldn't actually have the controller changing
the status at all. I should maybe have the controller call the models
change status method when called but that is it. And because the
method will now be in the model it wont be in the controller and I
wont be breaking dry like I thought of before.

I should have thought of that earlier once i realized destroy was
doing a little more work then actually destroying.

Thanks for the input, I knew I was looking at it from the wrong angle
it just felt wrong.