> Is rake a batch file in windows?  That could explain this, I believe a
> batch file cannot just be run, it needs a command shell to do it.
> Whether it might explain other problems I do not know.
>
> Colin

That sounds reasonable. As a matter of fact there are two rake-files in
my ruby/bin directory, one of which is a batch file (the other one is
just called 'rake' with no suffix).
It seems like the rake.bat file starts a ruby command executing the
'rake'-File (which, when opened in notepad is just a regular ruby file
but has no extension)...

At least that makes sense now, thanks Colin ;-)