Hi Fred,

On 19 nov, 14:59, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 1:22 pm, jhaagmans <jaap.haagm...@gmail.com> wrote:> Hi Fred,
>
> > Thanks for your response. I hope you can answer three questions about
> > this.
>
> > - Why is it that pharrington's example did work, even though the hosts
> > he used (I copied them) were never resolved before on my server? I
> > should have had the same problem, right?
>
> maybe, maybe not - not sure what varies between different dns lookups.

Me neither. That's why I was wondering.

> > - I've used net-dns before because what I really want to do is check a
> > domain for existence in the DNS-records of a certain server. However,
> > the problem with this is that because of the TTL, when I query a
> > domain every hour, a domain that has been deleted from the DNS doesn't
> > really get deleted from the "visible" records for 4 - 24 hours. That's
> > something I really need to work around, do you have an idea how I can
> > get that to work?
>
> Are you really working around it by using net/http ?

Good point. The answer is no. I thought I'd work around it because
with a full HTTP-request you'd not only query the DNS, you'd also
query the webserver, but if someone doesn't actually delete the files
from the server, you'd still get a 200-response.

Now I need to work around that as well and I doubt it's possible as we
don't actually control the DNS servers we use. I can't think of a
workaround for this.

> > - Why is it that most of the logged messages are 10 seconds apart?
> > That should tell me something, but I'm unsure what.
>
> Is this still inside backgroundrb  or have you managed to reproduce
> this outside background rb ?

You're right, it's still inside backgroundrb. However, I ran
pharrington's example from BRB as well.

@Conrad:

[j...@server06 ~]$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-linux], MBARI 0x8770,
Ruby Enterprise Edition 20090928

And yes, I'm still using BRB, I really can't think of a way to avoid
using BRB. I need to query a few thousand hosts every hour, every day.

I really regret choosing Ruby/Rails for this particular application at
this point.