On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:34 AM, jhaagmans <jaap.haagm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> On 19 nov, 14:59, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 1:22 pm, jhaagmans <jaap.haagm...@gmail.com> wrote:> Hi Fred,
> >
> > > Thanks for your response. I hope you can answer three questions about
> > > this.
> >
> > > - Why is it that pharrington's example did work, even though the hosts
> > > he used (I copied them) were never resolved before on my server? I
> > > should have had the same problem, right?
> >
> > maybe, maybe not - not sure what varies between different dns lookups.
>
> Me neither. That's why I was wondering.
>

> > > - I've used net-dns before because what I really want to do is check a
> > > domain for existence in the DNS-records of a certain server. However,
> > > the problem with this is that because of the TTL, when I query a
> > > domain every hour, a domain that has been deleted from the DNS doesn't
> > > really get deleted from the "visible" records for 4 - 24 hours. That's
> > > something I really need to work around, do you have an idea how I can
> > > get that to work?
> >
> > Are you really working around it by using net/http ?
>
> Good point. The answer is no. I thought I'd work around it because
> with a full HTTP-request you'd not only query the DNS, you'd also
> query the webserver, but if someone doesn't actually delete the files
> from the server, you'd still get a 200-response.
>
> Now I need to work around that as well and I doubt it's possible as we
> don't actually control the DNS servers we use. I can't think of a
> workaround for this.
>

> > > - Why is it that most of the logged messages are 10 seconds apart?
> > > That should tell me something, but I'm unsure what.
> >
> > Is this still inside backgroundrb  or have you managed to reproduce
> > this outside background rb ?
>
> You're right, it's still inside backgroundrb. However, I ran
> pharrington's example from BRB as well.
>
> @Conrad:
>
> [j...@server06 ~]$ ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-linux], MBARI 0x8770,
> Ruby Enterprise Edition 20090928
>
> And yes, I'm still using BRB, I really can't think of a way to avoid
> using BRB. I need to query a few thousand hosts every hour, every day.
>
> I really regret choosing Ruby/Rails for this particular application at
> this point.

Jaap, please tell if the following works for you:

require 'net/http'

module Enumerable
  def concurrently
    map{ |item| Thread.new { yield item }}.each{ |t| t.join }

def hosts
 %w[rubyforge.org www.scala-lang.org www.google.com www.gamefaqs.com
allrecipes.com m2k2.taigaforum.com youtube.com gitorious.org
everything2.com]
end

hosts.concurrently do |host|
  begin
     puts "\nfetching host #{host} - #{Time.now}\n"
     client = Net::HTTP.start(host)
   rescue e
     #store host as inactive
   ensure
     puts "\nfinished with host #{host} - #{Time.now}\n"
     client.finish if client.active?

-Conrad