I ignore them, but it would depend on your project and your own
habits.  If there are others working on the project you may want to
put it under version control in case someone decides to change
something in rails.  For me, any hacks I do to activerecord or whatnot
are put in a separate library so I'm never actually touching any of
the rails code.  So there are times when it could be useful, but
you'll have to use your own judgment.