Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am the sole developer on almost all of my projects and I have root
access to the VPS environments that I deploy to.

Considering this I think a may give it a shot to just .gitignore
vendor/rails and vendor/gems and then just run "rake gems:instal"l
once I have my app on the production server.

Also, another reason I am thinking of doing this is that in the past
when I had to change to a different version of a Gem is was kind of a
pain to "git rm" all of the old gem's source from the app's repo.

Do this sound like a pretty solid plan to you guys considering my
situation?

Thanks, Elliott