thanks - so I do want to have the images etc authenticated as well by
the way, so this is why I haven't got them under public either...

so the two test scenarios are based on doing a "save as" from a
website, and then:
(a) saving the web content directly under /public - which runs fast
(b) having the content in a protected area, and then having rails
serve it up via a controller - again that does (a) authentication via
authlogic and then (b) serves via paperclip which stores files on
disk, however there is a look to the database to find out where the
file is

I'm not sure how to attach the images here, however the results
basically show that on average, picking some of the images/css etc
that the browser fetches:
* a ~10kb javascript file:  10ms => 497ms
* a 1kb image: 5ms => 29ms
.
.
This is measured from a browser running on the same server as the ./
script/server -e production, mongrel server...