I am still not convinced the problem is with rails and not just
because there are a lot of images and files to load.

I like your thought to try to see exactly how long each process
takes.  The terminal in development mode can be helpful too.  It will
list the time for many of these things.

Here is another resource to help.   http://railslab.newrelic.com/scaling-rails

I don't know the nature of the site, but if at all possible you should
try to use the http server to serve css, javascript, and images.  You
could even resort to other forms of authentication, using apache if
you had to.