On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Audrey A Lee <audrey.lee.is...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Are any of you using OpenID to register and authenticate your users?
>
> I have found 2 projects on github which mix Rails with OpenID:
>
> http://github.com/tsechingho/authlogic_bundle
> http://github.com/binarylogic/authlogic_openid
>
> Both projects seem suited for providing a choice to the end-user:
>  - "Vanilla" password based authentication
>  - OpenID based authentication
>
> I want to implement the use-case where the end-user is allowed only
> OpenID based authentication.
>
> Some end-users are completely confused by the idea of having 2 ways to
> authenticate.
>
> And even the smart ones bump into a problem.  They register, and then
> return in a month
> and forget if they were using a password or OpenID.
>
> So, I want to make it easy for them.  They use OpenID or nothing.
> Actually, I want to make it even simpler: Yahoo-OpenID or nothing.
>
> Anyway I did the obvious thing.
>
> I tried to remove "Vanilla" password based authentication from each of
> the above projects.
>
> I ended up with 2 piles of broken software.
>
> So my question is, do you know of any projects or Rails starter kits
> which implement OpenID-only authentication?

No I don't.  And I believe that the openid advocates don't recommend this.

The problem is that if the user's open id server is unavailable for
whatever reason, he/she can't log in.

Providing a password option for authentications is the openid
equivalent of a 'forgot my password' mechanism.

Just some food for thought.
--
Rick DeNatale