YAY!
So I got the captcha working on my own. For information's sake here's
how I had to fix the problem.

I went here: http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ and installed the fonts.

It stuck them in /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts but the default path is
not there so I so I just copied the fonts inside that folder to
/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType reloaded my site and the captcha was
there.

Thank you to anyone who read this and to Railslist for taking the time
to reply. I am thoroughly excited I figured that one out on my own,
though I should have known all along what the problem was.

Regards,
Christine