If you need to run commands in the background, a message queue  is the way
to go. Resque and resque-status offer you some ability to check in on the
progress of background jobs, though if you're shelling out you'd still need
to have some way for your background worker to monitor the (forked) process,
which depends on what exactly it is you're doing.