I am a ruby on Rails Novice and I am having an extremely frustrating problem -
not sure whether acts_as_tree plug in is causing this or not (or me lacking a
fundamental misunderstanding of rails)

I have the following table schema:

create_table "destinations", :force => true do |t|
   t.string   "name"
   t.string   "description"
   t.integer  "commissions_rate",                                   :default => 0
   t.integer  "destinations_count",                                 :default => 0
   t.integer  "position"
   t.datetime "created_at"
   t.datetime "updated_at"
 end

and model def:

class Destination < ActiveRecord::Base
attr_accessible :id, :name, :parent_id, :centre_longitude, :centre_latitude,
:commissions_rate, :position, :startzoom, :description, :destinations_count

acts_as_tree  :counter_cache => true

end

I am trying to adjust the update method in my controller so that if the parent
commissions_rate is modified the "children" records of the parent are
automatically updated with this value, code as follows:

def update
   @destination = Destination.find(params[:id])
   @rate = @destination.commissions_rate || 0
   @children = @destination.children
   if (@destination.destinations_count > 0)
     for child in @children do
       child.commissions_rate = @rate
   respond_to do |format|
     if @destination.update_attributes(params[:destination])
       flash[:notice] = 'Destination was successfully updated.'

The form only send data for the parent model (not using nested model)

Everything works when I test the above code in the Rails console however when
running the server the children are failing to have the commission_rate
variable updated.
Would appreciate any help anyone can provide me.

Thanks

David