On 15 February 2010 10:46, David Krett <dbkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a ruby on Rails Novice and I am having an extremely frustrating problem
> - not sure whether acts_as_tree plug in is causing this or not (or me lacking
> a fundamental misunderstanding of rails)
>
> Everything works when I test the above code in the Rails console however when
> running the server the children are failing to have the commission_rate
> variable updated.
> Would appreciate any help anyone can provide me.

You're not saving the child after you update it's value

    for child in @children do
      child.commissions_rate = @rate
      child.save
    end

or

    for child in @children do
      child.update_attribute(:commissions_rate,  @rate)
    end

 .update_attribute automatically saves, check the Rails API docs for
more info on using this method.

PS You're using a lot of instance variables there, which seem like
there would be better scoped as local variables (ie drop the @ from
the variables unless you need them to be accessible on an instance of
the object - @destination is probably the only legitimate instance
variable)