On 17 February 2010 05:58, Greg Ma <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I trying to do an upload form, bu the file_field doesnt seem to work as
> it should. I can't access the datafile properties...
>
> #form
> <% form_for @student,
> :url => { :action => "upload_file",:id=>@student.id }, :multipart =>
> true do |f|%>
>
> #Error
> undefined method `original_name' for "iPhone intro.pdf":String

All the clues are there for you in the error.
It's saying that the upload[:datafile] field is a String object
(you're expecting a File).
So there's a problem with your form sending strings instead of files.
The thing that does the magic with turning file_fields from being just
another text input is the multipart value on the form, so that's
likely to be the problem.
Low and behold - there's a syntax error in your form definition; it should be :

<% form_for @student,
:url => { :action => "upload_file",:id=>@student.id }, :html => { :multipart =>
true } do |f|%>

(looks like you got a bit crossed between the form_tag and form_for methods)

That should now at least upload the file to the server, and let you
get on with the rest of the code.

(you'll save another bug hunt if you change :
upload['datafile'].original_name
upload['datafile'].original_filename
;-)