On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:44 -0800, Jedrin wrote:
> > ----
> > getcwd failure seems to indicate that your current path is a directory
> > that no longer exists (like it was deleted)
> >
> > cd /
> >
> > then try again
> >

>  That was strange as 'ls' showed I was in a directory, but that fixed
> that problem, but after the reinstall I still have the same problem:
>
> also, the extra args don't allways seemed to matter as I get the same
> error for
> just "gem install pg" without the other args
>
>  gem install pg -- --with-pgsql-include-dir=/usr/include/pgsql --with-
> pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/pgsql
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing pg:
>       ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-include-dir=/usr/include/pgsql --
> with-pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/pgsql
> checking for pg_config... yes
> checking for libpq-fe.h... no
> Can't find the 'libpq-fe.h header
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
>       --with-opt-dir
>       --without-opt-dir
>       --with-opt-include
>       --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
>       --with-opt-lib
>       --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
>       --with-make-prog
>       --without-make-prog
>       --srcdir=.
>       --curdir
>       --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby
>       --with-pg
>       --without-pg
>       --with-pg-config
>       --without-pg-config
>       --with-pg-dir
>       --without-pg-dir
>       --with-pg-include
>       --without-pg-include=${pg-dir}/include
>       --with-pg-lib
>       --without-pg-lib=${pg-dir}/lib
>       --enable-static-build
>       --disable-static-build
>

> Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> pg-0.9.0 for inspection.
> Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.9.0/ext/
> gem_make.out
> [r...@458869-mitll /]#
----
there should be no need to pass any extra parameters to the process in
order for it to build... I never needed to when I built the pg gem.
Perhaps there are other libraries missing but in theory, I would expect
that all you really need are postgresql-devel and ruby-devel libraries.

suggest that you start from scratch...

rm -fr /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.9.0
gem install pg

and see what happens... then if it still fails, why not post the
relevant content of the
'log' /usr/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.9.0/ext/gem_make.out to the list?

Craig

believed to be clean.