Hi Anthony, thanks.

I'm not using the rails-supplied nested attributes methods here, though
maybe i should.  I'm effectively hand-rolling my own, so i create a
question and some associated objects (eg a grading in this case) at the
same time, from a single form.  When i drop the validation on
Grading#question_id then it works fine.  I'm just a little puzzled about
the best way to go about validating question_id, since the default way
seems to stop me building a question and gradings at once.