it's best not to install rubygems via apt-get. follow the instructions
from here http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3 i have a blog post
on set up for ubuntu
http://seanbehan.com/ruby-on-rails/new-ubuntu-slice-apache-mysql-php-ruby-on-rails-git-and/
which may be helpful (just ignore the libs for php and git)