In my quest to practice good style, I'm a bit stumped on the following.

Assume an app that lets a user visualize recent web activity on various
domains ("user has many domains").  In ordinary RESTful style, the path
/user/:user_id/domain invokes 'index' and lists all the domains, the
path /user/:user_id/domain/:domain_id shows particulars about one
domain.

Our app needs a 'display graph' button on the 'show' page to plot
historical activity for a particular domain.  The plot page has lots of
options (set time scale, filter different kinds of packets, etc), and I
can imagine these being tacked onto a path as query strings.

I'm a bit stumped as to how this really fits into RESTful style.  Would
you create a Plot controller ("domain has one plot") and control it with
a path like /user/:user_id/domain/:domain_id/plot?plotoptions...  ?

Also, the app calls for radically different page layouts depending on
selected display style (e.g. plot vs table view) -- can one controller
invoke multiple views?  Or must you create one controller per view?

And finally, would you back the controller with a Plot model?  Except
for caching complex plots, I don't see a real motivation for db
persistence, unless, of course, the Rails framework really wants a Plot
model to go with a Plot controller.

I welcome your insights...

- ff