On May 2, 1:29 pm, Joe <j...@dev-hq.co.uk> wrote:

> The tutorials are then displayed in order of there id (auto-
> incrementing) in their categories show method.
> The thing is, I want to create a link that goes from one tutorial
> (with an id of 10 for example) to the next tutorial in that category
> (which might not have an id of 11, as I create different tutorials at
> different times, therefore creating different ids for two tutorials
> seemingly next to eachother in order).
>
> Obviously I know I will need something like this:
> <%= link_to 'Next lesson....',   %>
>
> but I just don't know how I can manage it..
>
> By the way, every tutorial has a: category_id  to determain which
> category they are in (this is an integer).

If I were you, i'd create a position column on tutorials, which
determines the ordering of tutorials for a category (ordering by id
might seem the simplest but stops you from ever reordering tutorials.
Given a tutorial, the next one is the first one in the same category
whose position is greater than the current ones (you could write a
next_tutorial method on tutorial). There's a plugin called
acts_as_list that you might find helpful maintaining the position
column. If you're hell bent on ordering by id then it's as if id is
your position column

Fred