On May 8, 10:39 pm, Frank <fburle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always distrusted the ruby and rails installs on my Mac (oOS X
> 10.6.3) -- sudo gem cleanup can't seem to get rid of old gem versions
> (lots of Gem::InstallError: cannot uninstall).
>
> Because of that, I don't trust the rails beta3 install I just
> completed.  Here's the story:

I built and installed my own ruby and rubygems, leaving the Apple-
provided installations alone.  I used ruby 1.9.1 and gems 1.3.6.

Then I followed the procure outlined to install the gems, then rails
beta3 itself.  Again I got the complaint about the missing lib
directory. I followed common advice to create the lib directory in .../
gems/rails-3.0.0.beta3, then installed the rails gem once again -- to
successful completion.  There's nothing actually *in* the lib
directory -- I can only hope that's as it should be.  There are enough
references to this problem that I'll assume there's either some
dependance or some packaging issue, and that the Rails team has it on
their radar for a fix.