I've always distrusted the ruby and rails installs on my Mac (oOS X
10.6.3) -- sudo gem cleanup can't seem to get rid of old gem versions
(lots of Gem::InstallError: cannot uninstall).

Because of that, I don't trust the rails beta3 install I just
completed.  Here's the story:

* config is Apple's ruby 1.8.7 and gem 1.3.6.
* xcode is installed from Apple's developer site.
* gem env result is:

RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2009-06-08 patchlevel 173) [universal-
darwin10.0]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/
Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - universal-darwin-10
  - GEM PATHS:
     - /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
     - /Users/burleigh/.gem/ruby/1.8
     - /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/
ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://rubygems.org/

I have done these commands:

sudo gem update --system
sudo gem cleanup

sudo gem install tzinfo builder i18n memcache-client rack \
  rake rack-test rack-mount erubis mail text-format \
  thor bundler
sodu gem install rails --pre

whose execution ends with:

Installing ri documentation for rails-3.0.0.beta3...
File not found: lib

The gems/rails-3.0.0.beta3 directory has a bin directory with a 20
character file named "rails."  The other gem directories seem fuller.

That, combined with the failure of gem cleanup, makes me think "this
can't be right."

I'd appreciate any advice how I might clean up my Mac rails
environment.

Thank you.

PS: I have so far avoided MacPorts.