On May 18, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Ali Akhtarzada wrote:

Hi Rob,

That would make more sense creating the Administrator at the time of the users migration, but I'm following a book and the roles were created later so I suppose the author just figured he'd throw it in there or something. I do not have logic that prevents the admin from being deleted at this point either. Noted :)

Thanks.

Is it standard practice to have the classes (Role and User in this case) defined inside the migration RolesUsersJoin, wouldn't it be inconvenient since I would have my Role and User model defined somewhere else anyway? Or are you saying I should not define a User and Role elsewhere but just have them inside the RolesUsersJoin class?

- Ali

You want the normal models defined in their own files as is the convention. However, if you plan to manipulate the data through a model during a migration, then having a "local" version of that model defined as a nested class will shield you from problems later if the normal model evolves to have columns not present at the time of the migration that does the manipulation. (Adding a column to the table and then including a validation in the model is one way to do it and if you're making small migrations, it's not too hard to have a set of migrations that are deployed to production at the same time that are "incompatible" with each other.)

Some will claim that this is being paranoid, but I've helped at least two other projects (not my own) when they encountered just such crises.

If you are only doing "migration" things (i.e., Data Definition Language stuff in SQL-speak), then there's no need for a nested class.

-Rob