Victor Stan wrote:
> "With Heroku there's no git pull -- just push the code and it does
> everything else. "
>
> The problem for me is that it wasn't that simple, the app didn't work.

Yes, Heroku has certain limitations.  But they don't apply to most apps.

> While in an environment like shared hosting (if were comparing low
> price things, Heroku has a small free option as well)

More than small.  Heroku's free dev hosting makes it excellent for
projects in their early stages.  Try doing that on Site5 or Slicehost.

> I have control
> over the database, I don't get how heroku's databases work...

Standard PostgreSQL.  No different from any other PostgreSQL
installation.  What's not to get?

> I'll
> assume that through ActiveRecord it doesn't matter. But whatever, if
> you want to see what's in the database, Site5 gives you PhpMyAdmin,

That's a disadvantage -- PhpMyAdmin is apparently a known security hole.

> don't know how you check what's in the database on Heroku.

Then you didn't read their comprehensive documentation on this very
subject.

> "Site5 is shared hosting, not a VPS, right?  If so, then the two
> aren't
> really comparable -- and Rails generally really wants a VPS. "
>
> Well the question we are supposed to be answering here is what is
> "easy" rails hosting, not VPS vs shared. That's a whole other chapter.
> Site5 is shared, its easy. Its setup for you out of the box. That's
> all.

And judging from the number of problems from Site5 users I've seen on
this list, I doubt that it's easy.  Rails is not generally easy on
shared hosts.

> - V

Best,
--