I had a similar problem - our log read:

    /!\ FAILSAFE /!\  Thu Apr 29 10:55:46 -0400 2010
      Host 'coolhostname.com' is blocked because of many connection
errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

so, that mysqladmin flush-hosts cleared up the problem, but then the
problem happened again and again.

We ended up fixing it for good by setting 'max_connect_errors' to 512.

Good luck,
Jason