PS,

You can also try figuring out how to set up a git repo on that server
and then checkout a copy beside it and make that copy your production,
then on your local machine git checkout from the server through ssh
and bam, you can make changes on the local version commit, push, go to
remote git pull and there's your updated app, version controlled
deployment, closest to heroku without the coolne$$ of heroku ;)