> But why would you ever do that?  Layouts are designed to
> hold the parts of your view that don't change.  If they don't change,
> you shouldn't need to generate them on the fly.

What I'd really like to be able to do is to allow for an external
layout.  That is, when another site links to the resource, it could
append a parameter to the URL specifying the URL of an alternative
layout to be used.  Typically the alternative layout would be located
on the host linking *TO* the resource.  I'd have to get the layout
across the network and that's how I wind up with it in a variable.

I mentioned this in another post and from the limited responses that I
received I concluded that almost no one else has any interest in doing
this sort of thing.  I find that a bit surprising and it leaves me
wondering if I am not missing some other more popular way of skinning
this cat.  Anyway, that's the rationale behind my inquiry.  Thanks for
the input.

           ... doug