@Fernando
Capistrano is exactly that very "bash script" by purpose, you are
talking about  :D ... it's just written in Ruby

Writing another bash script won't re-invent the wheel at all.... when
there was no Capistrano in Rails world, I personally used to write
that very bash scripting..
for doing everything, deploy, taking backups and all... but honestly
it's much more fun with Cap.

It's strongly recommended to spare some time and devote it to learn
out how Capistrano works, it will make your life a lot easier :)
It's just a matter of burning out one day and get the familiarity.

As far as SCM is considered.... it's all personal choice and
preference to use Subversion(SVN) or Git or Mercurial(Hg)
Selecting an SCM has no concern with deployment through Capistrano and/
or whether to use Passenger or not.

Capistrano supports a lot of SCM tools, viz.  SVN, Git, Hg, CVS and
many more...

regards,
Sur
http://crimson9.com