> Post back if you have any more problems.
Thanks for your generous offer.  So here's my last (I hope) stumbling
block. I got:

 NoMethodError in Expenses#new

Showing app/views/expenses/new.html.erb where line #14 raised:

undefined method `merge' for :nickname:Symbol

Extracted source (around line #14):

11:     <%# New version of vendor selection -%>
12:     <% params[:expense] = 10 -%>
13:     <% @vendors = Vendor.find( :all, :order=>"nickname ASC") -%>
14:     <%= f.collection_select(:vendor, :id,
@vendors, :id, :nickname) %>
15:     <%# End of New version -%>
16:
17:     <%#= f.collection_select(:vendor, @vendors, :id, :nickname) %>

But the claim about nickname being bogus seems suspicious to me.  For
one thing:

>> Vendor.find(:first)
=> #<Vendor id: 62, nickname: "vendor 5/15/2010", qbname: "Test new
field names", [snip]

And the arguments seem to agree with
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/FormOptionsHelper.html,
particularly the guidance for the public instant method:

collection_select(object, method, collection, value_method,
text_method, options = {}, html_options = {})

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard