> I assume this is a result of me missing subversion. Is there another way

to install this plugin.

Alternatively, can anyone tell me any better ways of finding the geocode

from an address or postcode?

http://github.com/queso/ym4r-gm is a port onto github that I've used in the
past.

If your model is using geokit (acts_as_mappable) , lat/lng are attributes
from a provided address.  Otherwise you have to geocode from calling that
geocode method.  acts_as_mappable provides convenience on top ActiveRecords
find method as well for a geocodable model.