bingo bob wrote:

> The names would be generated by the user, they are proposed new baby
> names. The surname of the baby is of course fixed but needs to be
> entered, it is that of the parents. Hope that makes sense.
>
> Amazing how much there is to think about from a seemingly trivial job!

Indeed, but I think you're overcomplicating the issue.

> bb

So, a simple form with the following fields:

Forename, Surname (both stored as strings). *Two* check boxes to
determine whether the name is for a male and/or female, and of course a
save button.

Present this form only after a User has logged in.

Now, a ProposedNames table with the following columns:

user_id:integer
forename:string
midname:string
surname:string
male:tinyint
female:tinyint

This allows Users to save their proposed names into a database for later
retrieval.

You can then give the view permission to re-order and alter these names
at any time, by displaying a list of proposed names to the User in a
secure area.

No validation on the column names are necessary, realistically.

Unless I've misunderstood your request, I don't see any problems with
this approach.