I think it is deplorable that there aren't any good [1] Ruby IDEs out
there. Python comes with one (Idle).

[1] By good I mean free/open source and best of breed.

Rewriting the Python description of IDLE:

"coded in 100% pure Ruby, using the tkinter GUI toolkit
cross-platform: works on Windows and Unix
multi-window text editor with multiple undo, Ruby colorizing and many
other features, e.g. smart indent and call tips
Ruby shell window (a.k.a. interactive interpreter)
debugger (not complete, but you can set breakpoints, view and step)"

It seems to me we have all these pieces already. Wirble, ruby-debug,
window library wrappers.

It should be so good, X-Platform that it should ship with the basic
Ruby distribution (like rubygems does now w/1.9). Or it could ship as
a gem.

Other features I'd like. RVM and Bundler support. Rails/Sinatra
colorizing*, code completion. (I don't like tips or hints - hated
BBedit for that reason).

*extensible with snippets/bundles.

Cheers,
Ed