On Tuesday 07 September 2010, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Michael Schuerig wrote:

> I am still considering a better solution for your problem, though
> I'll admit that the spirit in which my attempts have so far been
> received is not exactly encouraging me to spend much more time on
> the issue.
>
> > I have to admit I was piqued by your reaction to my
> > original question: it was bold -- and ignorant.
>
> Sometimes the best way to tease out the right solution is to propose
> a solution and see where it fails.  Consider it to be mailing list
> TDD. :)

Then don't complain if the reaction indicates a failure.

Thank you for your effort. I think we could have reached that point much
more easily.

> > Anyway, I'm still looking for a way to express the existing,
> > working SQL solutions (sub-select for the latest version
> > corresponding to an article) in elegant ActiveRecord code.
>
> I may have something else for you.  I believe I am close, at any
> rate. But patronizing those who are trying to help you is not the
> way to get them to continue helping.

I wasn't patronizing you, look it up in the nearest dictionary. I
completely agree that I was telling you in no uncertain terms that I
didn't think much of the way you were telling me that my code is smelly
and my design is wrong (compare "patronize"). I hope you agree by now
that your initial assessment was rash and wrong.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:mich...@schuerig.de