I had a couple more ideas just after I posted.

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Michael Schuerig wrote:
[...]
>> :joins with a symbol does an inner join.
>
> So use an SQL fragment if you need an outer join (which, on reflection,
> I suppose you do).

On further reflection, I don't know why you would need an outer join
unless not every Article has a Version associated.  Is that the case?

>> When there are several draft
>> versions, which one would I get? Answer: any. I want a specific one: the
>> latest.
>
> You can specify conditions and sort order on fields from joined tables.
> That should do the trick.

Another (possibly zany) idea: group the versions by article_id.

Are you ultimately trying to retrieve the latest version only for each
article?  That's what you imply, but a couple of things you wrote made
me thing that you might want to retrieve multiple versions.  Which is
it?
[...]

Best,
--