On Thursday 09 September 2010, BlueHandTalking wrote:
> So is there a significant difference in the speed of, for example a
> 2.4Ghz duo core, versus a 2.4 Ghz i5?

I recently upgraded from a 2.0 GHz Core Duo (without "2") to a 1.83 GHz
i7.  The change also involved going from 3GB RAM to 8GB. Effectively a 4
year technology jump. There is a noticeable speed improvement, but
nothing to get excited about.

I have a hunch that an SSD instead of the spindly drive would have been
more effective, and possibly even more cost effective. I'll try this
when they come down in price some more. The reasoning behind my hunch is
that ordinary web apps just aren't CPU-bound and well-behaved
development tools aren't either (so Eclipse/RadRails and NetBeans don't
qualify all of the time).

Both mentioned computers are notebooks (Dell D820 and M6500) running
Debian Linux.

My advice: For your purposes, there probably isn't a noticeable speed
difference between a 2.4GHz dual core and a quad core of the same
generation; 4GB RAM is the minimum; see if you can try out how an SSD
affects speed (and tell us about your experience).

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:mich...@schuerig.de