Fidel Viegas wrote:
> On 9/9/10, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> radhames brito wrote:
>>> i must be missing something because everyone seems to love vim but to me
>>> is
>>> just archaic.
>>
>> I agree with you.  The modal interface should have died in the 1970s.
>> If I want a console editor, I use Emacs.
>>

> The thing about Vim or Emacs, is that they are not ordinary editors.
> They are modal editors.

Emacs isn't a modal editor in the sense that Vi is (with separate insert
and edit modes).  That's one reason I like it better than Vi.

> You can't really compare them with ordinary
> text editors.

Sure you can.  They're heavily programmable, but they're still just text
editors.  (Yes, I know you can check your e-mail and play Tetris in
Emacs.  That doesn't really change my point.)

[...]
> It is pretty hard to get use to it in the beginning, but once
> you get used to it, you will find that you can do things with it that
> you cannot replicate in other editors.

Example?  I agree in principle -- I *am* an Emacs fan -- but I find that
this doesn't make much difference for me in practice.

> The whole productivity
> enhancement is in the fact that you do not leave the keyboard, which
> is something that sort of delays your productivity a bit. At least
> that is for me.

I hear this argument a lot.  To some extent (a great extent) I agree
with it. But in fact there are tasks for which the mouse makes you
*more* productive.  There are times when I'd rather click around than
use cursor keys.

[...]
> The other nice thing about Vim is that it
> comes with any Unix based operating system. So, if you know how to use
> it you can start editing configuration files with it in any Unix based
> OS.

I know how to use Vi.  I still hate it.

[...]
> I have heard that Emacs is more powerful than Vim, but for me Vim is
> enough. I am happy with it as I am already used to its modes, and
> commands.

For me, it's not that Emacs is more powerful; rather, it's easier to
use.  Emacs modes are like language modules in other editors, not like
Vi's insert and edit mode.  The latter have no place in 21st-century
software IMHO. :)

[...]
> PS: "Vim is like wine, the older it gets the more tasty it becomes" ;D

Why?  Because nostalgia is the only thing it has going for it? :D

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org