rails server -d (or --daemon) will start up the server process in the
background and return you to your terminal prompt (at least on Linux or
OS/X, I haven't tried it in Windows).  But you do get useful output in the
server window in terms of error messages and deprecation warnings, so it's
probably worth letting it keep it's own terminal.

In fact you'll probably end up finding it useful to have three or four
terminal running at once so as to monitor the rails server, log files, your
tests running under autotest plus one to actually do stuff in!

Mark