One thing I've run into, on a windows box at work, was my 'home'
directory was a mapped drive on another server on the network. It
took, and I timed this so I wouldn't exaggerate, 13 minutes to run!
When I moved everything locally it took 45 seconds. I had to change a
start up script so it put my 'home' on my c drive.

Cheers,
John Ivanoff