Hi Colin,
I don't mind your comment, but appreciate you for explaining me.
Actually, its the first time i am using scripting language for my
purpose and i am use to of having only needful info. In terms of
complexity, there is no difference, as in both of cases (manual join or
associations), things will be same. But only thing that i was refusing
is fetching whole 500 users records, while i am needing only one field
of that record.
Generally a programming language is supposed to provide platform over
which you can build your functionality. But scripting language is
providing a part of the functionality and you have to build your own
over that, instead you doing everything from scratch.
After learning ruby & rails more and more, i found that the best is to
go with the defaults/functionality provided by the language.

Thanks,
Rahul