> Are you saying that the html, viewed via View > Page Source or similar
> in your browser is identical in the two cases, but it shows
> differently in the browser?  I don't think this is possible, all the
> browser can see is the html (and scripts and css which we assume are
> identical) so it cannot tell whether you have used a partial or not.
> I suggest that you copy the complete page html in the two cases and
> paste it into two files.  Then compare the files with a file
> comparison utility.  I am sure you will see a difference.

Yes, this is what I'm saying.  The source html is identical.
Comparing the two source files finds no differences, even though there
is clearly extra space on the page when using a partial.  Is Rails
somehow interpreting the .css differently?  I can't figure it
out...it's making for some ugly, non-DRY code on my views, though.