"No, 2.3.5, 2.2.2 and 1.2.6 are still installed as noted above"

Whoops. Yeah I bought two books on RoR and google like crazy to find
help and information. The tutorials online assume one is pretty much up
to speed kind of like a cooking show half way in (what white sauce we
just made?) The books deal with programming fairly well but not the
config stuff - especially Mac.

I would just feel 100% more confident going into getting this app
running if I knew the "environment" was clean and pure. And only one
version of the software loaded. As you mention this stuff changes a lot.
For example why is rails -v not working. As you said the command left
the other versions.

BTW, I do not agree that this is merely a time issue. I programmed on C
on a PDP when there was exactly one book.  Writing and compiling C is a
piece of cake compared to RoR.

So I appreciate asking "why", but I would just love a "how". How do I
blow away all RoR completely and then I think a gem install of version
2.2.2 would work.