> Never, this is the one and only rails app ever. I do want to get 1.8.7
> on this machine and rails 2.2.2 to match the source machine.
>
> I would actually like to eventually find a programmer to convert it off
> rails.

If you are thinking about getting a programmer anyway maybe it might
be wiser if you get one now to get your RoR environment straight and
your application running as it should. If what you are unhappy about
is the trouble you're having with it, you not being an expert, but the
application is doing what it is supposed to at your satisfaction when
the setup is correct I think converting the application might be a
mistake. You probably will end up spending a lot more money rewriting
the application than paying somebody to get your application
environment straight. That's your call, though, of course.