On Dec 8, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> I'm going to suggest that you experiment with switching away from JRuby.
> I think you have chosen it for what appear to be the wrong reasons: if
> you are using Ruby correctly, you generally won't need Java for "heavy
> lifting".

I don't know a lot about the use case, and there are certainly downsides with
Rails on JRuby. One use case for JRuby is when you've got a large, long lived
project and want to clearly define an API that a bunch of devs are going to
work on by putting richer type information around some core classes - whether
in Java or a lower ceremony option like Scala. It's also interesting if you
want (for example) some Clojure code (although I'm not too sure how seamless
the interop would be). I know about using proper testing to replace the "nanny
compiler", and personally I'm almost always working in a dynamically typed
language, but I do find use cases where static typing and all of the formality
and tooling support it brings can add value. That said, I'm not sure a Rails
app munging RSS feeds is necessarily that use case . . .

I have heard some credible people recommend JRuby for running Rails apps from a
performance perspective. Any particular take on that (other than don't
pre-optimize by worrying about performance?!). I'm still very new to the Rails
world although for the small projects I'm currently playing with in Rails I'm
just throwing them up on Heroku.

Best Wishes,
Peter