The "heavy lifting" tasks I refer too are heavy data processing or IO
heavy tasks that have performed poorly in early prototypes using a Ruby
only approach.

For example, once a RSS feed is downloaded and parsed, it's elements
(usually mp3's of 100mb+ each) are then to be downloaded and stored away
on a NAS array. Very quick prototypes suggested that standard open-uri
within Ruby was not up to this task as the file being downloaded was
buffered completely into memory before being written to disk on
completion. I accept there may be ways to overcome this (suggestions
welcome), that research has not been undertaken yet so I couldn't
comment on what they are.

Beyond this requirement, there is a need to transcode audio (and
possibly video in the future), support popular audio formats such as
WMA, MP3, OGG with metadata editing of those files and enable a
streaming api for audio.

There are many mature java libs to perform these tasks already out there
that I wished to use to provide that "heavy lifting" support when Ruby
doesn't give me the tools I need (and arguably Ruby isn't design with
these tasks in mind).

However, I digress. JRuby is the weapon of choice (reasons aside), so I
bring us back to the original question. Is there a scheduling solution
for JRuby that suits my needs?