Hello,

I need to install my application to a Windows server (using MSSQL as
the DB) and to make my life easier I am freezing the application. I
have been able to freeze rails and unpack all the gems I need
(including activerecord-sqlserver-adapter) except for one: ruby-odbc

I can install the gem the regular way, which DevKit builds correctly.
I can run the application with the gem "in the open". Then when I
unpack the gem everything seems to work, I get the message "Unpacked
gem: ‘C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm/vendor/gems/ruby-odbc-0.99992’", but after
I uninstall the 'regular' gem and try to start Mongrel:

C:\Pepe\Code\RoR\afm>ruby script/server
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/
gem_dependency.rb
:119:Warning: Gem::Dependency#version_requirements is deprecated and
will be rem
oved on or after August 2010.  Use #requirement
The following gems have native components that need to be built
  ruby-odbc  = 0.99992
You're running:
  ruby 1.8.7.302 at C:/Ruby187/bin/ruby.exe
  rubygems 1.3.7 at C:/Users/bob/.gem/ruby/1.8, C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/
gems/1.8
Run `rake gems:build` to build the unbuilt gems.

I then try to build:

C:\Pepe\Code\RoR\afm>rake gems:build
(in C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm)
rake aborted!
C:/Ruby187/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for version.h... no
checking for sql.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.
Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=C:/Ruby187/bin/ruby
        --with-odbc-dir
        --without-odbc-dir
        --with-odbc-include
        --without-odbc-include=${odbc-dir}/include
        --with-odbc-lib
        --without-odbc-lib=${odbc-dir}/lib
ERROR: sql.h not found

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm/vendor/gems/
ruby-odbc-0.
99992 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm/vendor/gems/ruby-odbc-0.99992/
ext/gem_mak
e.out

I have even successfully installed the gem in the gems directory, just
in case it would work:

C:\Pepe\Code\RoR\afm\vendor\gems>gem install ruby-odbc -i C:\Pepe\Code
\RoR\afm\v
endor\gems
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
Successfully installed ruby-odbc-0.99992
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for ruby-odbc-0.99992...
Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-odbc-0.99992...

But it doesn't:

C:\Pepe\Code\RoR\afm>ruby script/server
config.gem: Unpacked gem cache in vendor/gems has no specification
file. Run 'ra
ke gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
config.gem: Unpacked gem cache in vendor/gems not in a versioned
directory. Givi
ng up.
config.gem: Unpacked gem doc in vendor/gems has no specification file.
Run 'rake
 gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
config.gem: Unpacked gem doc in vendor/gems not in a versioned
directory. Giving
 up.
config.gem: Unpacked gem gems in vendor/gems has no specification
file. Run 'rak
e gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
config.gem: Unpacked gem gems in vendor/gems not in a versioned
directory. Givin
g up.
config.gem: Unpacked gem specifications in vendor/gems has no
specification file
. Run 'rake gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
config.gem: Unpacked gem specifications in vendor/gems not in a
versioned direct
ory. Giving up.
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
C:/Pepe/Code/RoR/afm/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/
gem_dependency.rb
:119:Warning: Gem::Dependency#version_requirements is deprecated and
will be rem
oved on or after August 2010.  Use #requirement
The following gems have native components that need to be built
  ruby-odbc  = 0.99992
You're running:
  ruby 1.8.7.302 at C:/Ruby187/bin/ruby.exe
  rubygems 1.3.7 at C:/Users/bob/.gem/ruby/1.8, C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/
gems/1.8
Run `rake gems:build` to build the unbuilt gems.

I am probably missing something obvious but I haven't been able to
figure it out.

How can I unpack ruby-odbc correctly? Any clues?

Thanks in advance.