On 20 December 2010 15:11, pepe <p...@betterrpg.com> wrote:
>> > I need to install my application to a Windows server
>>
>> My goodness, why?  That's just asking for trouble.
>
> We've had this conversation more than once.
>
>> Right.  Gems with native extensions generally can't be frozen usefully.
>
> Well, that does not help me much. If it can be done I'd like to try
> it. If it can't be done then I'd move on and go with the install
> approach I currently have.

What 'native extensions' means is that parts of the gem are not
written in Ruby but are (generally I think) in C.  These need to be
compiled to generate code suitable for the OS the app is being run on.
 The gem cannot therefore be frozen as it would be frozen with code
compiled for the wrong OS.  I think therefore you must install such
gems on the target machine in the normal way.

Colin