Sorry for not being explicit:

> Mac OS 10.6 (snow leopard)
rails -v = 2.3.5
I think I had installed Rails 3, but it bumped me back to 2.3.5. At least I
was going through the book's steps successfully.

I got RVM working in terminal now. I hadn't done "source .bash_profile" to
load it in. That did the trick. RVM commands now work in the terminal. I
wasn't sure if .bash_profile needed extra code in there, but it looks like
it can just be a plain, naked text file with the one piece of RVM code in
there. Good to know.

I installed Rails 3 (again perhaps) and now rails -v is 3.0.5.

I did my "rails new demo_app" and I got all the appropriate files this time.

Thanks for the responsive help! I'm back on track now (or back on the Rails,
as it were)

case closed
:)

Ian