The most obvious answer is: do you have a file app\views\upload\uploadfile.html.erb? (also, why the backslashes?)

Not quite sure why you're rendering a file like that...the idiomatic way is to have a file in app/views/uploads/index.html.erb that displays whatever you want (in this case presumably some form of the CSV data). Rails assumes this and will render index.html.erb without any explicit rendering.

Garrett Lancaster

        rixter <mailto:caseyr...@gmail.com>
February 1, 2011 2:02 PM

I'm new to ROR and still trying to wrap my mind around the MVC construct. Hope someone can spot what is probably a simple error here.

I need to have a user upload a CSV file, parse the header (the table field names) then each row of data, and import the data into its respective tables.

In the view I have:

<% form_tag ({:action => 'uploadFile'}, :multipart => true) do %>
<%= file_field 'upload', 'datafile' %></p>
<%= submit_tag "Upload" %>
<% end %>

in the controller:

class UploadController < ApplicationController

  def index
    render :file => 'app\views\upload\uploadfile.html.erb'
  end

  def uploadFile

    post = Import.proc_csv( params[:upload])
    flash[:notice] = "File imported successfully"
    redirect_to :action => :index

  rescue

      flash[:error] = "Error importing file"
      redirect_to :action => 'index'

and in the model:

class Import < ActiveRecord::Base

  require 'fastercsv'

  def self.proc_csv(upload)
    row_count = 0
FasterCSV.foreach([:csv_import][:file], :headers => :first_row) do |row|

@gr = Genotype_runs.create(:genotype_date_1=>row[4],:genotype_date_2=>row[5],:genotype_date_3=>row[6]) # use the id of the Genotype_runs record to link to Genotype_data rec. Genotype_data.create(:genotype_run_id=> gr.id, :box=>row[0], :subjectid=>row[1], :labid=>row[2], :well=>row[4], :created_at=>Time.now,:updated_at=>Time.now)
      # print message showing import
      $stderr.print "\r%5d ..." % csv.lineno
      $stderr.flush
      row_count = row_count + 1

  def self.save(upload)
    name =  upload['datafile'].original_filename
    directory = "public/data/import"
    # create the file path
    path = File.join(directory, name)
    # write the file
    File.open(path, "wb") { |f| f.write(upload['datafile'].read) }

The file upload screen allows me to upload a file, but when I submit it, I get the following error:

  Errno::ENOENT in UploadController#index

No such file or directory - app\views\upload\uploadfile.html.erb

Which is rather a puzzle for me...any suggestions/insights/comments appreciated!

--Rick